April 21, 2013

Anita Johnson's Eulogy

Good Morning, What a privilege it is for me to say a few words about a truly remarkable man.

When I gave this eulogy some thought I realized that I knew Woody most of my life. Some people refer to Woody as "Mr. North Caldwell". I described him as “Grandpa Walton of North Caldwell”. Always there, always involved.

I remember crisp winter days at Walkers pond. As a young child I thought it was so cool to own your own pond. Woody was often there gathering wood or attending to the fire. I still have a skating badge somewhere. The Walker's were always so good natured about sharing their property with the community. Many people may not be aware of the fact that the Walker family not only lent their property to the town for recreation but paid for the insurance till 1982. That's amazing!


Does anyone remember the Fireman's picnic? Potato sack races, corn on the cob, BBQ, watermelon there were even clams on the half shell. Woody was always there helping in one way or another. North Caldwell was a much smaller town then. Woody's involvement grew as North Caldwell grew.

Woody was often seen on his tractor cutting the large front lawn. He's straw hat and pipe visible off to one side of his mouth, always an Iowa farm boy at heart.

Years later I married into the Johnson family and moved to Mountain Ave. , “The farm” ….Carlee and Woody were wonderful neighbors I have many fond memories of neighborhood parties especially Christmas eve. Everyone gathered for fun, friendship and a few cups of Was-sell. If it were not for Carlee and Woody many of us would never have seen each other.

Woody was a generous soul. Whenever you needed a helping hand Woody was there. He helped me many times with my flooded basement, tractor problems, whatever you needed. If he could not fix something for me off we went to his tool shop, it was great! One year he brought over his tractor with the bush hog attachment. He effortlessly cleared the over brush from my back lot. It would have taken me weeks of backbreaking labor to do what he did in less than an hour.

Woody was the most civic minded person I ever met. For many years Woody sat on Board of Education, Town Council was a member of the North Caldwell Fire Department, There was the Board of Adjustments Lion’s Club and North Caldwell Historic Preservation Commission.

I could go on and on. Years ago Woody and I sat of an ad hoc Board of Education committee. It was the first time that I had worked with Woody. I enjoyed his no non sense approach and common sense approach to tackling dilemmas. Woody was a brilliant engineer and it manifested itself in ways of practicality, ingenuity and helpfulness in the everyday aspects of life. Recently Woody attended a council meeting regarding a garbage collection. He remained involved, vocal, always sharp.

I would be re miss if I didn't mention Carlee. She was a dynamo, She had endless energy. Woody supported her many, many interests. Smith College alumni work, and her accomplished art career. It brings tears to my eyes when he would talk about his beloved Carlee. They were quite the team.

 Last week I received a message from Byron, Woody had taken a turn for the worse and it was important to get to the hospital. It was a comfort to see to see him relaxed and peaceful. Although unable to speak, his eyes were bright, he was alert for someone so close to the end of one's life. I caught him up on some family news, held his hand and told him I loved him. I was so sad, but not for Woody. His life was so rich and full. I was sad for me, his family, and all of us that loved and respected this man. He cannot be replaced and will be missed by many.

 I am grateful to have had Woody in my life and grateful to the entire Walker family for letting me share my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have thoughts or a story you wish to share about Woody, please do so as a comment to the Thoughts and Remembrances post on this blog, or email it to woodenhue@gmail.com.