April 21, 2013

Ruth's remembrances

Good Morning, I am Ruth Mitchell, Byron’s wife, and this is Whitney Bernard, my daughter. Whitney and I are probably two of the few people in the Church who’ve known Mr. Walker for only about 15 years.

I know many found it odd or amusing that I called Mr. Walker, Mr. Walker. It has been my expression of my great respect for an elder. I was comfortable and he never seemed uncomfortable that I called him, Mr. Walker. And I was grateful for his acceptance of Whitney and me into the family.

We had many many weekly Sunday night and holiday family dinners together. As Joanna knows, he was a great dinner guest – enthusiastic about all meals I made for him. I don’t think I’ll ever eat shrimp cocktail again without remembering his enjoyment of it and, I’ve never seen anyone eat corn on the cob as a first course. No matter what was on the table, he’d always ask for just the corn on his plate. And, if there was any chance he thought I might not be serving it, he’d bring it ready to cook.

At each dinner he’d bring some amusing item –often an item he’d bought at a garage sale. We went through phases –there was the candle phase-which Byron never understood. “Why would an –ex-fireman bring us so many candles?” All sorts of interesting bks – sometimes reference material to help me with my family tree work – a passion we both shared; and once, a ceramic vase –with faces of deer on it. . .initially I was enthused about this gift but then learned why it was in a garage sale-it leaked!

And. . . the clocks, so many clocks! A couple of years ago, I said, “Mr. Walker, how about in many many years, at your funeral, if we gave these little clocks to all your friends. . .they could each pick one as a remembrance of you.” I remember he nodded and laughed and saying yes that was a gd idea.

I will miss Mr. Walker. I am grateful for all he gave to us and will definitely be saluting him with love and honor  - and definitely when we have corn on the cob and shrimp cocktail.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have thoughts or a story you wish to share about Woody, please do so as a comment to the Thoughts and Remembrances post on this blog, or email it to woodenhue@gmail.com.